Monday, August 16, 2010

Losing my topless resolve

We're in a hot spell, so the morning drive was already a very pleasant mid-sixties, the night having clung on to a sizable chunk of the previous day's heat to give this morning a good head start.  Top-down, of course.

Speaking of top-down, yesterday's high temps were the kind that challenge my love of driving topless.  I always feel like a convertible should have its top down whenever possible, otherwise why have one?  But when the temperature gets to 90 or above I lose my topless resolve. At that point, I'm just sitting in a black leather and plastic bucket grilling under the broiler with nothing to mitigate the searing effect.  I was waiting to meet my son on Sunday, sitting in a parking lot with the top down and starting to think about finding a tree to sit under when it occurred to me (slow, I know, but that was probably a heat-effect) that I could simply pull the top over me.  Whew!

Glad this morning's drive was so pleasant, since I expect I'll do the return trip this afternoon with the top firmly up and the AC on.  Maybe.

A short/long week this week.  Thursday and Friday are board retreat, so a short work week that involves a lot of preparation.  I spent a chunk of Saturday working on the retreat materials, so feel pretty well prepared at this point.  I really wasn't joking when I told someone, who asked what I was going to do with all my post-masters free time, that I was looking forward to the luxury of being able to take work home.  It is worth it when it helps set the week up and takes away some of the when-will-I-ever-get-to…? pressure.

My iPod was all over the place this morning.  From spoken to French, alternative to big-band jazz.  I'm afraid I don't see any shapes forming, regardless of which order I connect these musical dots.

Winterpills: Portrait
Belle & Sebastian: A Space Boy Dream
Bob Florence Limited: 3 E-Motions Part 2
Michel Legrand: I Will Say Good-Bye

1 comment:

Unknown said...

K Speaking of top down, this reminds me of being in Hawaii in a wonderful, new, but old style, red convertible mustang. It was definitely, a top up during the day situation, at 86 degrees every day. Just too much intense sun for driving long distances! but the evenings when it is was a comfortable 72 and the sun down, and the tradewinds up. Awww, perfect. Can't wait to experience that again. So, I understand the need to put that top up at 95 degrees in Lynnwood. As much as I missed the sun this year, no way can I sit under a 90s sun, fried brain syndrome!

Nettie

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...