Thursday, August 12, 2010

iMood: Wednesday Aug 12

Another sunny day, another crisp clear morning drive in to the college.  I was coming in a wee bit earlier than usual so traffic was really light.  I'm a morning person, by nature.  I like getting up early and getting into work early.  Those first couple of hours before the campus really starts to wake up are usually my most productive of the day.  They allow me to get my day in order, clean up any messes that I left the previous afternoon, whittle down the inbox, and are my best creative writing/working zone as well.

Alas, this morning I found the campus wireless network not functioning.  Its amazing how dependent my working life now is on having reliable access to the Internet and cloud-based resources.  I won't be able to post this blog entry (until some later service-restored time), for example, though I can write it. I can't get to documents I need for an event later today because they are stored as Google Doc files linked to a calendar event.  I can't get to some of the numbers I need to continue working on a budget presentation for next week's Board meeting. I can't clean up my inbox.

While having become a nearly paperless person has its perks, and using cloud-based tools and services makes plugging into my data from almost anywhere super easy, when I end up someplace like this (in my office, a cellular dead zone now with no wireless) I certainly feel cut off.

The good news is that we have several great coffee shops right here in the neighborhood, all with good wireless.  So…. maybe I need a tall cup of coffee and 20 oz. of iced Internet connectivity!

My iPod's mood this morning was lazy.  It served up one nine-minute song (Six Days…) from a group whose name could be a reflection of the Persied Meteor shower that is currently lighting up the summer night skies (Explosions in the Sky).  That one song covered most of this morning's commute, with the preceding song starting midway through from the previous evening and the final song just barely getting started by the time I pulled into the campus.


  • Cake: Italian Leather Sofa
  • Explosions in the Sky: Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean
  • Bele Fleck & the Flecktones: Stomping Grounds


A really good mix of songs for this morning's drive, even if the number of tunes was limited.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...