Friday, August 13, 2010

iMood Friday Aug 13: The Cool Before the Warm

The Cool Before the Warm

A much cooler morning today, despite the fact that we're supposed to hit the high 80's by mid afternoon.  Checking a couple of iPhone weather apps, I get a current temp of 56° F whereas the temperature sensor on the roof of my office building says 60°.  Also, wind.  As I moved closer to the college there were several strong gusts of wind and lots of swirling leaves.

Falling leaves and convertibles can be kind of fun.  Leaves will often fall downward, sweep up over the windshield and then swirl once or twice around the cabin before jetting away behind me.  Even so, dry-brown, wind-blown leaves in mid August is surprising.

My iPod was in prescient mode today:

Duke Ellington: Autumn Leaves
Fountains of Wayne: Troubled Times
Van Morrison: Behind the Ritual
Michael Torke Band: Change of Address: West 4th Street
George Harrison: Isn't it a Pity

I could easily string this all together into a paragraph that fits the day, more or less:

Early wind-blown autumn leaves were falling as I drove into the office, the Governor's press conference spelling out the ongoing depth of our economic troubled times weighing on my mind.  Behind the ritual of my daily drive into the campus, there is a change of thinking as well as a change of address; I shift from waking look-at-the-day thoughts to what's-in-my-inbox thoughts as I draw closer to the campus.  Yet, even as I move toward campus and tasks I can't help but ask myself, "Isn't it a pity to have to work on what promises to be such a beautiful day?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww, so appropriate for the day. The cycle of the seasons, reminding us of the passage of time - and so quickly.

Funny how songs can bring out our emotions, joy or sadness. People can write my feelings so well sometimes, such a gift to be able to do that.

Thanks for always providing me with solace.

Nettie

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...