Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Clouds and Well Travelled Music

Overcast morning.  Which means, in this case, a high layer of gray clouds covering the entire sky, with just a hint of darker fraying edges here and that that could signal light localized showers.  Rain isn't in the forecast (not that this means anything you could bet your picnic plans on), it just looks like it could if it wanted to.

So I took the day's dare and left the top down again this morning (though did pull it back up when I parked; I'm not that much of a gambler) just to see what it would do. It was an empty bluff, as it turns out, and the cooler and slightly damp morning air felt good.

A geographically diverse playlist this morning; clearly my iPod was in a traveling mood.  From Boston (Pixies) to California (Augustana, Rocco Deluca), South America (Getz & Gilberto) to Iceland (Sigur Rós).

I'm a big fan of Sigur Rós' music, though I know it is an acquired taste here.  When my iPod isn't on random, it is more often than not on my Sigur Rós collection (which includes solo albums by lead singer Jonsi), especially when working, writing, or driving.  There is something about the intense and sweeping scope of their music that draws me in.  Viörar Vel Til Loftarása is one of my favorite pieces and by the time it gets to the major build up at the eight minute mark I'm totally pulled into it.

Today, that tune was just getting started as I pulled into the campus and wound along the golf course via the service road connecting main and north campuses.  It would have been the perfect soundtrack for the weather of today's drive, and it is now in its second play-through in my office as I write up today's entry.  It's that worthy.

Augustana: Stars and Boulevards
Rocco Deluca: Gravitate
Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto: Para Machucar Meu Coracao
Pixies: Caribou
Sigur Rós: Viörar Vel Til Loftarása

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...