Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday, just like Greta Garbo

Wow, yesterday was only Monday. All of it. One of those days that seems to cram so much into it that you just know half the week went with it. It wasn't that the calendar was all that crammed, just ordinarily full. But there are busy days and then there are brain-busy days, and I think yesterday was one of the latter.

Today is Tuesday, that slip of a day-in-passing, the overlooked weekday. I'm going to make a concerted effort to dial today down and focus on things like clearing up the pending items in my inbox and to-do list. Don't call. Or, as Van Morrison says in Just like Greta Garbo:
If anybody asks you have you seen me
Please just tell them no
...

Well I guess I'm going A.W.O.L.
Disconnect my telephone
Just like Greta Garbo
I just want to be alone

Oh, it's sprinkling and cloudy again this morning. Yesterday the sun came through late in the day, and today has a chance of doing the same. Top up on the way in, top down on the way home. I can live with that.

Great soundtrack this morning! More songs fit into it, too, for whatever reason. Lightfoot is more than comfort food to my generation, he is an excellent songwriter and Carefree Highway is a good example. Madeleine Payroux's cover of Dance me to the end of love lead me to explore Leonard Cohen more deeply, for which I will be forever grateful. With her Billy Holiday-esque timing and languid vocal gait, Payroux is a fascinating singer and songwriter, and would be a favorite even if she hadn't lead me to re-discover Cohen.

Finally, there is the Guggenheim Grotto. If you have never checked out their music, I can't recommend doing so more strongly. There is no such thing as a "typical" GG tune, but today's number is as good a place to start as any. Dial it up in Pandora, sample it on iTunes or Amazon, listen through the whole album (The Universe Is Laughing) while you're at it. Good, as they say, stuff!

- Gordon Lightfoot: Carefree Highway
- Madeleine Payroux: Dance me to the end of love*
- The Bestles: Revolution
- Big Head Todd & The Monsters: Silvery Moon
- The Guggenheim Grotto: Wings and Feathers

*I use the capitalization convention of each artist/label when I list songs, rather than standardizing. Some capitalize every word, others just first words, and still others think they're e.e. cummings.

- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...