Saturday, June 18, 2011

An open letter to my children on Father's Day

Hi kids,

You probably know what I'm going to say, because you well know my aversion to the hype of the "Hallmark holidays." They create obligation where it isn't needed and drive consumerism that isn't healthy. Please don't participate on my account. It isn't necessary because you both are my reward. Nothing you could ever purchase will top that, so don't even try.

I have the joy of being a father year round, but I like to take Father's Day as an opportunity for me to think back on the rich gift you have both been in my life. Without you I wouldn't be a father, and would have missed out on all the things that have made this journey so worthwhile. I learned more from the two of you, I think, than you will ever learn from me.

Yes, there have been difficult moments and places for each of us, but those only make the joy of being a father that much more precious. I take nothing for granted.

Now that you are both grown I have the joy of being your friend, less guide and mentor, and that is a comfortable place for me. You are both worth the world to me; your love and friendship conclude an elegant sufficiency.

- dad

- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...