Monday, June 6, 2011

Sun, bear, Bruce, wedding, and Morning Jacket

Monday after the beautiful weekend, and it's still top-down weather. The forecast gives us this one additional day of sunshine before assigning sun mixed with rain to us again. Makes for a beautiful commute and a strong desire to play hooky from work.

My commute started with a phone call to my cell phone just as I was pulling out of the driveway. A bear was was being tracked by police about a block or two from our campus. It was cornered in an abandoned shopping plaza and, by the time I got to campus, they had shot and killed it. So the campus is safe from bears, but the bear wasn't safe from us. For this end it was born?

It was a busy weekend, but in a fun sort of way. Saturday night was the Bruce Cockburn concert in Seattle.



My one or two even-occasional readers know that I'm a big fan of Bruce's music. Nobody provides such a rich mix of lyric depth and poetry, instrumental virtuoso, and wide-ranging musical styles and influences. If you missed the show and want to see pictures from the show (from the Vancouver and Victora BC shows) or listen to a bit of the concert from the CBC site: look and listen. The latter is from a concert in Banff, and the playlist is very similar, but not quite the same as we heard on Saturday.

Then a wedding on Sunday. The daughter of a good friend, a Producer for KING 5 News in Seattle, married another KING 5 Producer on board a moored ferry on Lake Washington. A beautiful day and a beautiful setting for a beautiful wedding. And, yes, several station celebrities were among the guests celebrating the union of their two employees.

My Morning Jacket just leased a new CD last week, so this morning's commute was limited to listening through the first few songs from the new disk (Circuital):

- Circuital
- Wonderful (The Way I Feel)
- Slow Slow Tune

From what I have heard so far, this is a welcome return to their usual sound (that last disk being an interesting departure) and songwriting. I occurred to me this morning that lead singer Jim James's voice reminds me of early Larry Norman. So far, good stuff.


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...