Friday, June 3, 2011

It's been a week, it's a wrap

Friday is back like he just ran around the block. What, Friday already again? How can this week possibly be gone?!? No complaints, mind you. The Popular Dude, harbinger of the weekend, is a most welcome sight right about now. A short week, but a very condensed week in the thickened-reduced down-dense-intense sense of the word. Dense enough to generate extra gravitational pull that whipsawed me from issue to issue with little regard for my already-crammed calendar.

So while this imminently-approaching weekend is on the obligatedly-busy side as well, at least it affords some little space to call my own. I sincerely hope so, this week particularly.

But lest that sounds too much like a complaint, know that the drive in this morning was refreshingly top-down, infinitely blue-sky capped, wind whistling through my hair (well, sweeping the top of my scalp, anyway), bird song cutting across the iPod-driven soundtrack, and sunglasses absolutely required. I treated myself to coffee from the favorite coffee kiosk (something I realized this morning I haven't done in some time), and have a solid block of unscheduled morning in which to get a bit caught up. Add a strong gourd of Barbacua mate to follow the coffee and things are really looking up.

Like the Gottfried Benn poem Tracing, the morning is mine to create, within reason:

So you faced the day: the font
without bubbles, dawdling
buildings and staircases; the houses
locked up, it was for you to create
the morning, early jasmine,
its yelps, its incipient aboriginal
stream—still without end—O those years!

Interesting soundtrack this morning. It ran quietly through the drive, since I didn't want to overpower the birds or shatter the relative quiet of the neighborhoods I passed through. What can you say about a short playlist that pits Stafrænn Hákon directly against Oscar Peterson, having kicked off with David Gray?

The full playlist:
- David Gray: Lead Me Upstairs
- Jump In The Water: Saint Teresa
- Stafrænn Hákon: Iodine (live Birmingham 2004)
- Oscar Peterson: Con Alma


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...