Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Cockburn-Guayaki sort of morning

Thursday, and wet again. Top up, wipers passing over the windshield periodically, cranky weather-bummed drivers. This being Thursday, the great pretender of the week, I can catch a glimpse of the weekend from here, but there is so much to get done before I can call this week done that the weekend I glimpse still feels a long ways out.

Today we have a rep from Guayaki on campus. A colleague and I are doing a workshop on yerba mate as part of our campus Food Revolution series, and Guayaki was kind enough to come up and participate with us. Looking forward to sharing a gourd with Mateo and sharing mate with some of my colleagues. I think we will start carrying some of the Guayaki products on campus, which is groovy with me! I brought in a loaf of whole wheat mate bread I made this weekend, so do join us if you're in the neighborhood.

The iPod was in a very definite mood this morning, with three of the four tunes from Bruce Cockburn and the lone exception a well-matched Van Morrison. Déjà vu, the last track playing when I pulled onto the campus, is a beautiful, languid bit of coffee house jazz from the 1973 album Night Vision. It's one of my favorite of the early Cockburn albums. It also features on of my favorite pieces of cover art, a darkly powerful painting that pits horse against iron horse, front and back cover:








Deja vu
Glass cafe faces
Fade into the wash
Of brick-dust-yellow afternoon

Deja vu
Slow lines on pages
Shape words like echoes
Of a ball bounced in an empty street

Deja vu
Sun on hair dancing
To breeze-borne snatches
Of a lost music box melody


Yes, very good stuff. The album link above will allow you to sample the tunes from this album, if you're interested.

Today's full playlist:

- Bruce Cockburn: Berlin Tonight
- Van Morrison: Have I Told You Lately
- Bruce Cockburn: Scanning These Crowds
- Bruce Cockburn: Déjà vu


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...