Monday, September 27, 2010

The rain in my head

Monday: rain.  Forecast says sun and mid-seventies today, with rain materializing late tonight.  Maybe it's a bit early for today's forecast?  I feel a bit slow-motion this morning myself, just a little bit forced-to-get-up-and-moving, if that makes any sense. Usually, once I'm up, I'm go.  Today, I'm up but sort-of-go. I am reminded of Shel Silverstein's poem, Rain:

I opened my eyes
And looked up at the rain,
And it dripped in my head
And flowed into my brain,
And all that I hear as I lie in my bed
Is the slishity-slosh of the rain in my head.

I step very softly,
I walk very slow,
I can't do a handstand--
I might overflow,
So pardon the wild crazy thing I just said--
I'm just not the same since there's rain in my head.

Well, I've never been able to do a handstand, regardless of the weather, so I can't put that down to this morning's rain. 

Sunday was a football and baking day for me.  I made two beautiful loaves of whole-grain bread and pizza dough for dinner.  Then made tuna melt pizzas with the dough. Those were an invention from many years ago when our kids were young.  We all liked tuna melts and we all liked pizza, so I decided, why not?  The family turned up their nose at the thought and approached the table with dismal resignation only to find they loved them.  A hit was born.  I agree with food author Mark Bittman that pizzas should have a limited number of flavors and toppings and that a good rule of thumb is whether or not the toppings would be good together on a plate.  In this case, the dough is topped by nothing but olive oil, sautéed red onion, and cheddar cheese (light on all three). A magic combination.

Speaking of combinations, the iPod was mashing together an odd assortment of tunes this morning. Not what I would call a great (as in, plays very well together) playlist, but certainly interesting:
  • Sara Bareilles: Love Song
  • Christine Lavin: All I have to do is dream/A summer medley
  • Doves: Almost Forgot Myself
  • Jónsi: Around Us
  • Bruce Cockburn: The Mines of Mozambique
Slishity-slosh ––shakes head–– enough of all this; on with the day.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...