Sunday, September 5, 2010

Dine and dash, again

For the third time in a month I have spent the night in the bathroom contending with... well, let's just say contending and leave it at that. The first time I was pretty certain it had to be food poisoning or a bad clam from a dinner out. The second time, also following a dinner out, I would also have said food poisoning (it comes on so quickly and severely), but others had shared servings of pretty much everything (seafood) I had eaten with no ill effect.

Last night M and I dined out and she had a delicious shrimp risotto. I had two bites, just the risotto, none of the shrimp. And once again, I was quite ill, though not quite as bad as the two previous episodes.

I am now afraid I may have suddenly developed that most-common of all food allergies: shellfish. This can, apparently, be tested for, so I will contact my doc this week and find out for certain. However, the process of elimination (which, come to think of it, is also the result!) seems to make the shellfish connection pretty likely. Clams the first time. Crab the second. Shrimp this last time. No shellfish between those events, and the results in each case were proportional to the amount ingested.

The thought of never having cioppino, crab bisque, clams, or lobster again is really quite daunting. I have always enjoyed seafood and frequently opt for it when dining out. On the other hand, the current course of aversion therapy isn't lost on me either.

Time and testing will tell, of course. For now, I'm laying low for the second time this vacation, which I view as a waste of yet another perfectly good day.

iMood: I'm listening to Jonsi's Go album, earlier it was the Weepies new album, Be Kind To Me. There is no pun intended in my selection of Go, even though it does accurately describe my condition. It also happens to be awesome music.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...