Monday, September 13, 2010

Blueberry Hill

A pleasant Monday morning, and mostly a top-down morning. It would have been totally top-down, except the top was up when I left and I didn't think to drop it until a few blocks were past. Iffy weather, with a solid hazy cloud layer, but dry.

This morning was the first that I absolutely had to use the flashlight app on the iPhone to grope my way out of the bedroom. The creep of winter darkness marches steadily forward.

I find myself looking forward to each distinct season as it approaches. Of course, we generally have mild seasonal variations, just enough to be distinct but not enough to make any of them especially onerous. I always miss the sun of summer, but fall has its appeal. I especially love the mulchy smell of fallen leaves and the sharp crisp bite fall mornings have on the nose. We are not there yet, and for the sake of a garden full of green tomatoes I hope we get another short burst of sunshine in the next week or two.

I watched two football games on Sunday, something I haven't been able to do in a few years, what with school. The whole time I keep feeling like there was something I was urgently supposed to be doing. I will add that both Seattle's and Washington's new teams looked surprisingly good. It will be interesting to see how both teams shake out as the season progresses.

Short playlist this morning, with songs that run just a little longish. Good playlist, too:

- Nanci Griffith: Goodnight to a Mother's Dreams
- Chris Botti: Emmanuel
- Jeremy Fisher: Left Behind
- Bruce Cockburn: Blueberry Hill

If you have never heard Cockburn's lazy, bluesy, reverb-heavy rendition of Blueberry Hill, you're missing a real treat. He's joined by Margo Timmons (Cowboy Junkies) for a growling and sultry romp through one of the few covers he has ever recorded. Yep, good stuff!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...