Thursday, September 16, 2010

More music than memory

A very nondescript drive in this morning; I barely remember it.  Weather was (and still is) cloudy and threatening rain (score one for the weather forecasters), traffic was typical, and I hit the same miserable pot-hole I've hit two other times this week (should now be fixed firmly in my internal route map to trigger a slight swerve when I next pass that spot).

Playlist was also more static than dynamic, since I had switched from shuffle to my Sigor Rós playlist in the office yesterday afternoon and hadn't toggled back to shuffle.  Since the artist is the same throughout today's playlist, I'll list track followed by the album it comes from:

  • Happiness: Riceboy Sleeps (Jonsi & Alex)
  • Boy 1904: Riceboy Sleeps (Jonsi & Alex)
  • Saeglópur: Takk...
  • Track 8: ( )
That last album really is titled "( )" and all of the tracks are simply listed as Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, etc.  ( ) was the second Sigur Rós album I ever purchased and it really cemented my appreciation for this group.

Also, I lied when I said the artist was the same throughout this playlist since I have two albums in the mix that are projects of Jonsi, the lead singer/guitar player for Sigur Rós, and this morning's drive-time concert tossed up two back-to-back tracks from his project album Riceboy Sleeps.

No word on a forthcoming Sigur Rós album, since the group is taking a break, having babies (at least two of the group members), and Jonsi is currently touring for his Go solo album.  If you happen to be in New York on November 15th (lucky you!), the group's Web site (eighteen seconds before sunrise) reports a Lincoln Center affiliated concert that sounds fascinating and which will include the group's pianist, new works, and pieces from the above mentioned Riceboy Sleeps album:

composer and keyboardist kjartan sveinsson of the icelandic post-rock group sigur rós will join forces with the hilliard ensemble and the latvian national chorus for an evening titled credo. they will perform three of his new works, one of which features texts by canadian poet anne carson. the evening also comprises works from riceboy sleeps, the celebrated ambient creation of jón por "jónsi" birgisson, the incandescent voice of sigur rós, and his partner alex somers. credo takes place at the church of st. paul the apostle, 60th and columbus avenue, manhattan.


No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...