Friday, September 10, 2010

Angry mob, bloodshed, and good music

I took the long road in this morning.  I've been putting off doing my annual fasting blood draw (make sure things like cholesterol numbers are all in the right zone!). The clinic opens at 8:00, but that's an hour or more later than I'm used to being in the office being productive before everyone else gets in and calling, emailing, and meeting.  I decided this morning was a good time to get this done, so puttered a bit longer at the house, left a bit later, filled up the Miata's tank (low fuel light came on last night) and still had to kill about 10 minutes waiting for the clinic doors to open.

Half the senior community of Lynnwood (really: half a dozen seniors) was queued up and impatiently (vocally so) waiting for the doors to open and grumbling when they didn't open right on time (according to a consensus of wrist watches being heartily consulted).  Judging from their indignation and frustration, it was clear they each had highly pressing other matters to get to this morning, so I dutifully hung back and waited for them to take the first set of numbers at the blood lab.  After all, I only had get to work this morning. I know my place in an angry mob.

My turn came, and the woman who drew my blood did so with exquisite professional accuracy and speed.  Really, it was over and done so quickly that the obligatory cotton wad taped to the crook in my arm was hardly necessary.  Still, I proudly wore it in to the office as proof of the ordeal I must have endured. They'll never know.

Stopped by the coffee shop drive-thru after that, since I had skipped breakfast and the diet has been going well this week, and treated myself to a large iced latte. With extra shots of (decaf only, thanks) coffee, that's only 180 calories, even with 2% milk.  Extravagant, I know!  They were moving extra slowly this morning, but cheerfully so.  Really, a very friendly group there, always nice to chat with. 

The upshot of all of this was a longer-than-usual playlist for the drive in today.  Apart from two tracks back to back from the same album (maybe they stuck together; have to shake the box harder next time), a very good mix.  Peterson's Hymn to Freedom is one of those beautiful instrumental ballads that sweeps slowly toward a powerful climax.  It was playing through most of my wait at the clinic, so I got to really sit and listen to the beautiful piano work and the impeccable timing of that classic trio.  Good stuff!

Bruce Cockburn: Mistress of Storms
Ron Affif Trio: Steeplechase
Oscar Peterson Trio: Hymn to Freedom
Van Morrison: Browned Eyed Girl
Belle & Sebastian: I Took a Long Hard Look
Belle & Sebastian: Acts of the Apostle, Pt. 2
The Beatles: Yesterday
Lafayette Gilchrist: In Depth

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...