Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Analog week: why Thursday feels like Wednesday

Thursday already, these short weeks really seem to fly by.  My mind constantly struggles to find myself in the spacial timeline of a week like this.  I liken it to the difference between feeling one's relative position in the hour on an analog clock versus reading the exact minutes of a digital clock.  My calendar reads out the exact day of the week, which fixes my position in the week absolutely.  But I am used to also feeling my position in the week relative to the passage of time, just like I can look at an analog clock dial and feel how much space lies between me and the next meeting or event. Consequently, my internal calendar is constantly telling me today is Wednesday even though the calendar fixes the day as Thursday.  It is mildly jarring, but offset by the companion reminder that the work week is almost over.

The weather gods predict a 14% chance of rain for all points along today's hourly forecast, observing that it will be mostly sunny/cloudy.  Since it was lightly misting rain all of my drive in this morning, can I apply that against the forecast 14% chance and color it done for the day?

The iPod's mood was inscrutable this morning. From old folk-rock, to country, jazz, driving rock, to jazz ballad.  Just the kind of eclectic mix that I most enjoy, and which was responsible for this whole silly iMood blog thing.
  • Van Morrison: Astral Weeks
  • Nanci Griffith: Cold Hearts / Closed Minds
  • Brad Mehldau Trio: Embers
  • Moments of Grace: Broken Promises
  • Kurt Elling: Where I Belong

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...