Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tuesday, drawing my own conclusions

Tuesday and I'm running late.  It usually happens once or twice right after the DST changeover, while by body's internal clock slowly realigns itself with the artificial construct of pretending the hour is other than it really is.  The alarm went off and I drifted back to sleep, fully convinced (really, fully knowing) that it wasn't yet time to wake up.  Bother!

Not sure why this gets to me, though.  I come in early because it suits me to take advantage of the quiet early morning hours to get caught up, not because anyone else expects or cares that I'm in before 7:00. If I'm 20 minutes later than my usual time this morning, I doubt anyone even knows other than me. Still, it does get to me.  Makes me unreasonably mad at myself, as if it is some significant failing on my part, a weakness of character.  Damn Puritan strains threading throughout our cultural heretage, no doubt. That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

Spectacular evasive action was required on the drive in this morning.  I was following a car down one of my usual commute streets when a very large unlit SUV came flying out of a long tree-lined driveway and careened out onto the road right between me and the car I was following.  She was clearly in a hurry to get somewhere, not even sort of looking, barely able to negotiate her high-speed turn onto the street, and no doubt very surprised to find herself suddenly slotted between two other cars, the latter one (me) swerving to a sudden halt into the oncoming lane (fortunately empty).  It was only then she turned on her headlights.  As luck would have it, she was going my way.  That gave me plenty of time to read the many stickers on her  jacked-up turquoise Chevy Blazer.  "Trucks are for Girls, "In loving memory of Brian..." somebody or other (with hockey sticks next to their name), and a sticker of Calvin (of & Hobbes fame) pissing on the words, "stupid people."  Riiiiiiiight. We can all draw our own conclusions. I sure did.

Music was ok-but-not-inspiring this morning. The last two tunes felt more-right (whatever that means on a Tuesday morning) than the previous tracks did.  Winterpills is a group that I really like, though hear very little of or about.  Kind of a Shins-meets-Weepies sort of sound.

The full playlist:

 - The Living Sisters: This Mountain Has Skies
 - Tingstad & Rumble: Shamrock
 - The Shins: Phantom Limb
 - Nick Drake:  One of These Things First
 - Winterpills: Laughing

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love what you wrote about your Puritan tendencies. Thanks for the laugh!

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...