Thursday, March 24, 2011

Lord of the Starfields

I can't believe it's Thursday already.  The pretender has snuck up on me and, given how compressed this week has felt, I'm having to fight falling under Thursday's spell.  But Thursday isn't Friday, and it sure isn't Saturday, so I must press on.  Looks like another beautiful day is queued up.  After I got out of my car and was walking toward my office building this morning it dawned on me (no pun intended) that I should have had the top down on the drive in today.  I'm still in the-dark-of-winter mode, I guess.  I have gotten out of the habit of checking the skies as I roll out of the garage and having the option to even consider dropping the top.  Early morning and late evening are my two favorite times of day for going topless, too. If the weather holds - tomorrow!

With one exception, another exceptional mix of music on the iPod this morning.  The songs followed each other in one of those feels-tailor-made playlist progressions that, once upon a time ago, the very best radio DJs took pride in crafting. Following Train's My Private Nation, almost rock anthem-esque in flavor, with Belle and Sebastian is genius. Then tossing in a later recording of a vintage Cockburn tune like Lord of the Starfields right after that: even more genius.  Good job iPod!

Lord of the Starfields is one of the earliest Bruce Cockburn tunes I dove into, and remains one of my favorites.  It showcases both his guitar prowess and the strength of his imagery and poetry in songwriting (to view a short YouTube video of him singing this song live, with rather poor audio quality).  How can you not appreciate lyrics like this:

Lord of the starfields
Ancient of Days
Universe Maker
Here's a song in your praise

Wings of the storm cloud
Beginning and end
You make my heart leap
Like a banner in the wind

O love that fires the sun
Keep me burning.
Lord of the starfields
Sower of life,
Heaven and earth are
Full of your light

Voice of the nova
Smile of the dew
All of our yearning
Only comes home to you

O love that fires the sun
keep me burning

Such good stuff.  If you want to watch a better video, check out this YouTube recording of Bruce doing a live acoustic performance of Lovers in a Dangerous Time with Stephen Page (from Barenaked Ladies, who recorded a cover of this tune) from a Music Without Borders concert to benefit 9/11 victims, check out this link.

The only jarring moment in today's playlist happened just as I was pulling into campus when the soft jazz guitar playing of John Stowell was followed by the suddenly crunchy opening cords of the Electric Owls.  Those two tracks should not follow each other!

The full playlist:

 - Train: My Private Nation
 - Belle and Sebastian: Storytelling
 - Bruce Cockburn: Lord of the Starfields
 - John Stowell:  How Deep Is The Ocean
 - Electric Owls: Halloween Mask

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...