Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hawaiian Virginia Adaptation

Wednesday, the malleable day of the week, rolls in with a big bright moon and very slight cloud cover.  Looks like another day of spring-blue skies!  I presented at a conference yesterday, with a couple of colleagues, and commuted into Seattle in the passenger seat.  Consequently, collegial conversation replaced the usual soundtrack and conference activities replaced the usual blog entry.

As I get close to lapping one year of this daily commute-music (mostly) blog experiment I am looking forward to looking back over a year of randomly selected music from my iPod.  Considering it holds close to 6000 songs from a wide variety of musicians, my sense is that I have seen only a fraction of this music, and a lot of that quite regularly.  While I understand that the law of averages doesn't require anything in particular to happen, or demand that any particular song will pop up every so often, it does seem (just going by very-faulty memory here) that my iPod has its favorites and, just maybe, doesn't play totally fair with all the songs stored below deck.

Notwithstanding, it was a great playlist this morning. Really nicely varied and steering-wheel-tap-worthy.  Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (IZ), best known for his medley of Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful Life from this same album, sang his rendition of the John Denver tune, Take Me Home Country Road. It has an upbeat island rhythm and the lyric has been modified to reflect island landmarks and culture.  Not knowing the Hawaiian alterations nearly as well as the original lyrics, but being easily drawn into this well-known tune, I happy sang about Virginia's country roads while IZ sang of Hawaii's.  It worked just fine.

The full playlist:

 - The Shins: So Says I
 - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole: Take Me Home Country Road
 - Jónsi: Grow Till Tall
 - Terence Blanchard: Flow, Pt. 3

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...