Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Trust me, I'm a thief

Tuesday, dark and overcast, but momentarily dry. Election day, too. The days of mail voting are here and, while they bring a degree of convenience I really like, we do lose the traditional sense of event that community site-based voting created. Going to your polling place to cast your vote, getting your little sanctimonious "I voted" sticker (most valuable to those who voted in the morning, since there wasn't much satisfaction in wearing it home if you voted in the evening), and also seeing your neighbors participating in this same community act, are all things lost to the mail order ballot. One hopes the process of voting in the quiet of your own home, with all your voting information at hand, results in more thoughtful decisions, by way of compensation. The record doesn't indicate this is necessarily the case.

Another track from the Brat 2 Russian mafia movie soundtrack popped up this morning. An omen? The title (Vechno Molodoi) translates to Forever Young. Do I apply that as forever young, new energy, hope, and ideals, or forever immature and still at the repeating mistakes phase?

Fittingly, very fittingly, the last track on today's random playlist was Trust Me I'm a Thief, from The Ghuggenheim Grotto's latest album The Universe Is Laughing. A fantastic album, I might add, and one of the best tracks from that album. Juxtaposed over election day, the lyrics offer some timely warnings:

Careful what you wish for
Careful what you wish
Oh, the devil's in the details

Promises break, that's what they do
Scorpions sting, that's what they do
Hurricanes take, that's what they do
Just like I'm gonna steal a piece of you

Trust me I'm a thief



The album title is a fragment from a slightly longer sentence from one of the other songs, and that full sentence could also be applied to this day: "The universe is laughing at us." Well, we will soon see whose money was most influential in this election. I am very much afraid that nobody will be laughing.

- Joel Frahm & Brad Meldhau: Away From Home
- Dr. Dog: Jackie Wants a Black Eye
- Madeleine Peyroux: Damn the Circumstances
- Smuslovuie Galliutzinatzii: Vechno Molodoi
- The Guggenheim Grotto: Trust Me I'm a Thief

PS: This is too easy, this morning. Dylan is now singing Blowin' in the Wind as I wrap up this post. Indeed.

- Posted via iPad.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...