Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Today, here in the US anyway, it is Thanksgiving day. One of those holidays that is steeped in food-based tradition and which calls for family gathering. In my growing-up years Thanksgiving meant extended family over for a big turkey-and-all-the-trimmings dinner. The women worked non-stop in and around the kitchen and the guys mostly sat around watching football or playing a pick up game in the yard (depending on who all was there and the weather). Mostly, though, it was about extended family and food, and was all the richer because there were no distractions (presents, songs, church, etc.) from that focus on people and food.

Today we will host dinner for our daughter, son-in-law, grandkids, and my mom. Maybe an aunt and cousin, too. Our son and his friend will be with others this year. The fare will be totally traditional: slow roast free-range turkey, sausage dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes (in a silly nod to tradition over nutrition, skins off, alas), green bean casserole, relish tray, cranberries, freshly baked bread (my only culinary contribution to the effort), etc. Oh, and homemade pies, of course!

I'm thinking there will also be some football on the TV as well. Purely for tradition's sake. ;-)

Life is crowded, stressful, and often uncertain. There is no shortage of things we could (and quite frequently do) worry about. Yet it is also blessed and rich. We are truly thankful to have the family we do and this time to be together over the joint traditions of family and food.

The soundtrack for the car today will be the new Pink Martini holiday album. I will play it when I go out to pick up mom in the soon-to-be-melting-I-hope snow.

To the small handful of folks who read these finite musings, I hope you also are able to enjoy whatever family and food traditions are yours.

- Posted via iPad.

3 comments:

heather said...

At an early age I understood what makes a family. It isn’t necessarily by blood; we have the chose to choose who we allow into our family. When I think about Thanksgivings from my childhood your family is entwined. I’m thankful.

Kevin said...

Heather: Thanks! We missed you guys this year!

heather said...

oh good grief...choice!!!

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...