Wednesday, November 24, 2010

More not-commuting and iPad life

Wednesday, hump-day, the day before Thanksgiving, and another non-commute day. Cold, too. I know it got down to 15° F (-9°C) before we trudged upstairs to bed last night, so probably colder before the night was over.

I fully expected this morning's call would be for a late start, but the college would be open. However, every other college or university in the area was essentially closed for business, it is the day before a major holiday (attendance really drops on this day), and we still have icy roads, limited bus service, and temperatures nobody wants to get stuck out in for long. So... we closed too.

Monday evening, when I got home from the college, I upgraded my iPad to the freshly minted iOS 4.2, and have been really pleased. It brings the much-improved version of the built-in email client (with support for message threading and Gmail archiving) and much wanted application multiple-tasking. Oh, and application folders, which I really needed to help organize my apps into working clusters. It has made working via the iPad that much more powerful, to the point that I haven't had to crack open my laptop during this entire work-at-home freeze.

The one disappointment in the new iOS release has been the hobbled-at-the-last-minute AirPrint feature. Unless you have one of the new HP ePrint devices, it isn't ready to work. My work around was to purchase a copy of Printopia. Printopia is a < $10 Mac (not iOS!) application that works with the AirPrint feature of iOS 4.2, and allows you to print from any iOS device on the same wireless network as the Mac you install the software on. I can select either of our networked printers and (this feature is worth the price even if I never wanted to print), it allows me to print to PDF. Even more cool, I can print to PDF and save the resulting file in Dropbox, in one step. Worthy, me thinks, very worthy.

No commute playlist today, but I do offer up a hearty recommendation for the new Pink Martini holiday album, Joy To The World. It is broadly multicultural, wonderfully and beautifully musical, and truly one of the best holiday albums I have ever heard. Just about what I would expect from Pink Martini!

Happy Thanksgiving.

- Posted via iPad.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...