Monday, August 22, 2011

Season grinding-on-shortened daylight

It was dark this morning when I got up at my usual weekday time of 5:45 AM. As in cold mid-winter post-daylight-savings-time dark, but without the cold. Cool, yes, but at 60° (15° C) hardly cold. It had lightened up by the time I left the house an hour later, but waking to darkness was a jolting reminder that the summer marches on. There has been so little of it this year, too.

An 83% probability of rain showers today is another full-stop from the last several days of glorious warm unbroken sunshine. Still, after today and tomorrow, the unmitigated yellow globe icon again dominates the foreseeable forecast.

The iPod was in an easy listening mood this morning. Or, as we might have said a few years back: mellow. It kicked off with a beautiful Cockburn tune (All The Ways I Want You), one with lyrics I think are especially poetic in their longing:

The hills are full of secrets
Owls watch by night
Down in town the bars are full
And the drunks are picking fights
These are things I know
But the facts are filtered through
All the ways I want you

2:19 freight train
Moaning somewhere near
I see you in the distance
But I can't get there from here
Hard to believe it's happening
But my whole world's shrunken to
All the ways I want you

Stars look down and laugh at me
I ought to take a bow
Don't have to tell them life's hard sometimes
There's one falling now
Nobody's here beside me
I can talk about it to
All the ways I want you
The playlist wrapped up with the David Lanz' rendition of A Whiter Shade of Pale. David's genius on this rendition was to bring in the organist from Procol Harum to reprise his signature work from the original version, which elevates this from merely a nice (dare I say "elevator music?") instrumental cover to a that-feels-right hum-along cover of a classic rock tune.

A good soundtrack for an early Monday morning whose timbre was already set by season-grinding-on-shortened daylight and unwanted cloud cover.

The full playlist:
- Bruce Cockburn: All The Ways I Want You
- Henry Mancini: Love Theme From Romeo and Juliet
- John Lennon: Imagine
- The Momas & The Papas: California Dreamin'
- David Lanz: A Whiter Shade of Pale


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...