Thursday, August 4, 2011

Flying time, the cloud, and the fog wall

Yesterday I was surprised to find it was already Wednesday, and today I'm just as surprised to find it is already Thursday. Clearly, I am easily surprised. Or having too much fun and reaping the oft-cited consequence of flying of time. Bonus: Thursday is Friday for me during the summer. Panic: Thursday is my last day in the office to get all those things done that I should have this week. Likely: some things will be taken home for a little weekend work.

The notion of taking work home is also a changing thing, isn't it? I'm a pretty paperless person these days, so most of what I work on and with is digital and stored on one server or another, readily accessible from anywhere and most any device. As a result, I don't so much take work home as log back into it. For all of the hype "the cloud" gets these days (and despite Microsoft's rather pathetic attempts/commercials to make folks think the cloud is something other than it is), "the cloud" is a pretty neat thing in my book.

Today's top-down blue-sky commute started off with Procol Harum's Weisselklenzenacht , which translates as the signature. Which is a little odd because I suspect most of us think of A Whiter Shade of Pale as Procol Harum's signature tune.

About the time Frank started singing Witchcraft I crested a hill and, looking forward to the West, saw a vertical wall of brownish fog. I plunged into that wall about the time I crossed HWY 99. Approaching, it looked sort of like the photos of the recent mega-dust storm as it approached Phoenix. This was only the retreating vestiges of Sound fog rolling back, and it was mostly gone by the time I was parking on campus.

Today's full playlist:
- Procol Harum: Weisselklenzenacht (Live)
- Under the Influence: Mama's Room
- Frank Sinatra: Witchcraft
- ELO: It's Over


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...