Wednesday, August 31, 2011

iPhone flashlight season, or the Bright Side Of Life

There is an app on my iPhone that sits tucked away on a back screen in a "folder" of less-used tool apps, at least for much of the year. It is one of the many flashlight apps, designed to either white-screen the iPhone or trigger the LED lamp on the back and thereby create a makeshift flashlight.

In the lonely-dark depth of winter, when I get up early on a weekday morning, I use it to keep from stumbling over the dogs on my way out of the bedroom of a morning. For the dark season I shift my apps around and give it prominent space on my phone's home screen so I can quickly find/toggle it.

This morning, I had to fumble to find it. I needed it, which is yet another sign that our all-too-short summer season is winding down. The turning leaves on our resident ornamental maple tree is another sign.

Wednesday's (always the malleable mid-week whatsit) commute soundtrack was nicely diverse and compelling. It kicked off with a Fionne Regan composition with "what the hell is he talking about?" lyrics:
Save the mayfly and drown the horsefly
Follow the prince from the donkey's hooves
Climb through the mirror

Then passed through Procol Harum to resolve with Tim Curry speaking: "This is a total bloody disaster! All my knights have fled, and we're lost in a dark and very expensive forest!" The intro, of course, to the Spamalot reprisal of Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life (an Eric Idle song originally recorded for Monty Python's Life of Brian).
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turnout for the best, and...
Always look on the bright side of life

What's not to like about a playlist like that?

- Fionn Regan: Anglers Curse
- Brian Withycombe: My All
- Procol Harum: A Whiter Shade of Pale
- Spamalot soundtrack: Always look on the bright side of life


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...