Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A three-tune commute with descending arpeggio

Tuesday wore an invisibility cloak. Deep fog, of the sort that wipes out everything further forward than half a block, made a slower-paced and visually surreal commute. The forecast calls for (I'm almost afraid to say this out loud!) sunshine the rest of this week. Highs of 70° F (21° C) are even whispered for later in the week. We simply won't know how to act. We'll be staggering around like a bunch of sun-struck penguins with silly grins on our faces, no doubt. I'll take it!

I am always surprised by the number of cars that drive with no lights in fog like this. They suddenly whip past out of the swirling white, seemingly oblivious to their surroundings. Maybe that's just a small-car observation, though. I run with my lights on at all times, for added visibility. I'm used to being aware of my own degree of visibility and knowing I am likely going to have to compensate for other's poor sight lines and massive blind spots. It was, after all, only very large vehicles that I saw with no lights on this morning. Very large vehicles often create a false sense of invincibility, which can easily translate into a reduced sense of responsibility to what is around them. I remember a comedian (though not which one) doing a characterization of a Brooklyn man walking through a sidewalk crowd. With a sniff and a gesture that made it look like he was pushing himself up from his navel, he shouted, "Hey! I'm walkin' here!" Same kind of thing.

A three tune commute again today, this time kicked off by a wonderfully rich 8+ minute jazz number. Not sure where the title (Teen's Romance) comes into play, but there are a couple of sections where the percussion takes on a very clock-like rhythm, so maybe that has something to do with sleeping through the day?

Gaelic Storm offered a shallow tune about a love-lorn human asking God for a pair of wings for the day so he could cross the Atlantic and steal back his lost love, which he apparently lost to another because of his own boorish behavior. Very hummable, though.

Finally, Michele Camilo served up one of the most beautiful solo piano pieces in my collection. Titled The Resolution it affords more gentle-but-rapid-fire finger work than a Chopin minuet. There is one particularly beautiful descending arpeggio that always causes me to hit the replay button, just to listen to this tune a second time. Today, that second listen had to be in the office while I typed up this post, since the song finished up just as I pulled into a parking spot on campus.

Today's playlist:

- Edward Simon: Teen's Romance
- Gaelic Storm: Human to a God
- Michel Camilo: The Resolution


- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...