Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The influence of the gourd

Tuesday (my Friday this week), top down, but skies threatening all the way in. The forecast only gives an 11% probability of 0.01 inch, so I was probably safe despite appearances.

This morning I wanted my mate in the gourd. I don't usually use a gourd in the office, because I don't have a good place to wash it out later. A commercial bathroom sink doesn't really like the small spent leaves and stems that have to be rinsed out of the gourd. Despite that hassle, there is something warm and inviting about a gourd of yerba mate (especially when combined with good music and the smiling faces of my grandkids):





There is also the unique by-the-gourd taste. Strong and intense at first, increasingly mellow as I top off the water over and over until the mate has given up it's flavor. No other method of enjoying mate gives that full-range experience.

Another great soundtrack this morning. Not one I would ever have thought to assemble, but the mix was quite good. Starting off with contemporary Latin hip hop from Mexico-by-way-of-Wisconsin and wrapping up with some excellent Dandy Warhols.

The full playlist:

- Kinto Sol: José el Azteca
- Adiemus: Cantus - Song Of Tears
- Big Head Todd & The Monsters: All The Love You Need
- The Dandy Warhols: Talk Radio

The post-commute mix has continued just as tastily, with Dr. Dog, Jan Garbarek, Bela Fleck, and some dark minor-key rock from the Брат-2 (Russian mafia movie soundtrack) soundtrack. Maybe it's the influence of the gourd.

- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...