Thursday, May 19, 2011

Blue skies, brown eyes, and taking five

Thursday, so often just a pretender of Friday, can't possibly pull that off today. We all know that, even though today is scheduled to be another beautiful sun-filled day, Friday is forecast to be our warmest yet. So everyone has their internal expectation-calendars calibrated for Friday. Thursday, then, is just another beautiful day, which is quite sufficient.

Top down drive in again this morning. I have an off-campus meeting that will afford another top-down drive later this morning, too. There is something brain-cleansing about having your head flapping in the breeze. Maybe in a previous life I was a dog that got to take long car trips, and I'm simply channeling my past love of having my head out the window, tongue hanging out, nose working in overdrive.

The music was beautifully mixed this morning. This is exactly the kind of shuffle-created random jumble of music that inspired this daily blog in the first place. Take Five is one of those tunes that could get anyone in a good mood almost anytime it comes on. Written by sax player Paul Desmond and recorded by the Dave Brubeck Quartet on the one-of-the-best-selling-of-all-time album, Time Out, the tune has been deservedly recorded over and over. Desmond left the royalties for performances of the song, upon his death in 1977, to the Red Cross. Apparently, they get over $100k/year from those royalties.

Today's full most-excellent playlist:

- Dave Brubeck: Take Five
- Gaudi with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan: Jab Teri Duhm Main Raha Karte They
- Nick Drake: Which Will
- The Guggenheim Grotto: Wisdom

For what it's worth, Van Morrison is currently crooning Brown Eyed Girl as I type this entry, sipping my morning mate. Another foot-tappingly good tune that always me think of the brown-eyed love of my life. The tune is currently in it's fifth or sixth repeat. Some things simply get better with time, just like my own brown-eyed girl.

- Posted via Hermes.

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...