Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nada Queda Ya pero Jueves y Portland

Thursday (my Friday), dark and inscrutable skies. A deep orange full (?) moon was hanging over the Olympic mountains when I first got up this morning, but I couldn't see it or any stars on my drive in and couldn't tell if the skies were clear or cloudy.  Small hints of fog were present here and there, but otherwise, no discernable weather.  Maybe if I had the top down I could have seen more of the dark pre-dawn sky and its visible forecast, but it wasn't so I didn't.

We can't complain about the last few days of glorious early-fall sun, though from this afternoon forward it looks like complaining weather is coming. A late afternoon high of 62º is predicted with increasing cloud cover through the afternoon and leading into rain by evening. Storm front rolling in should dominate the weekend.  The weather forecast icon (in the WeatherBug app) for the early days of next week is the ambiguous cloud with both a sun globe peeking over it and rain dripping out of it. Apart from snow, that one icon pretty well covers all possibilities.  It is like saying, "Next week we will have weather." Yep.

After yesterday's rant about the inefficiency of the desk phone I had a couple of cancelled morning appointments and managed to get caught back up.  Very little phone traffic yesterday.  Since almost nobody in the wide world reads this daily mind-spill, it didn't happen in deference to my complaint.  Must be karma, fate, divine intervention, or coincidence.  Or maybe an Ecclesiastian mix of all four ("If the clouds are full, they pour out rain upon the earth; and whether a tree falls toward the south or toward the north, wherever the tree falls, there it lies" 11:3). Either way, thanks.

Tomorrow M & I hop the train to Portland, OR for a weekend away.  A trip to Mecca (Powell's City of Books) is, of course, a major component of that get away.  Fun stuff.  And Fred & George get to look forward to a short live-in visit from one of their best friends (and ours, too!).  So everyone is happy.

Quick aside: shifting from iPad on-screen keyboard to laptop keyboard throughout the day is really starting to trip me up on both platforms.  The keyboard layouts are just enough different that I get in the habit of shifting to bring up the number keys or not, and find myself reaching for other keyboard options from one platform on the other.  I'm equally confused on both keyboards now.  Reminds me of when, in the early days of the Palm Pilot, after I had mastered the Graffiti handwriting alphabet and was quite good at it, I would frequently and unintentionally write out Graffiti characters on the whiteboard when teaching or doing a workshop.  When things are different but very similar, the mind is easily lulled into confusion.

This morning's playlist was a delightful mix.  Regular readers (all one of you) will correctly deduce from the length of the playlist that I swung through the local coffee kiosk on the way in this morning.  Obk (song: Nada Queda Ya, or Nothing Remains) is a contemporary Spanish singer/songwriter.  I picked up this CD several years ago at a grocery store in Motril, along the Costa del Sol.  He writes some very beautiful ballads, and I recently discovered that one or two of his CDs are now available through US channels like Amazon and iTunes.  A little pop-ish at times, and with the Euro-pop dependence on too much electronica (my opinion, mind), when that fades out and the guitar work comes through with vocals, the songs are memorable.
  • Gordon Lightfoot: If You Could Read My Mind
  • Obk: Nada Queda Ya
  • Perla Batalla: If It Be Your Will
  • Travis: Out In Space
  • Sigur Rós: Nyja Lagio
So now it's on to getting through Thursday and on to Portland.  In contemporary Social-Mediaeese:  woot!

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...