Monday, April 11, 2011

They're my rules, anyway

Monday's back on the playground again, as unwelcome as always.  He never seems to learn, that kid. Still, these nearly-mid-April (yikes!) Monday's at least bring morning daylight.  I almost dropped the top on the drive in this morning.  Sure, it's cloudy and planning to drip all over us again today, but it looked like I'd make it safely to the campus before getting wet (I would have, too), and the temperature is mild enough to be enjoyable. 

Not sure about this morning's playlist.  If I had been presented with this list and asked if I wanted to hear these tunes this morning I'd have probably said, "Nah" to all of them.  Not bad stuff, any of it, but not a great Monday morning commute soundtrack.  From almost old-English guitar-style folk to...shall we say, crunchy metal?, then an acoustic John Meyer, and finally a slow and loping Camera Obscura tune.  None of which played especially nicely together, they simply were there together by chance.

I ask myself, why don't I skip tunes I don't want to hear?  It only takes a flick of my thumb and the little steering wheel toggle.  Somehow, I have convinced myself that there are rules to this morning-commute-blog-about-shuffled-music, and one of those rules is that I will take what comes up exactly as it comes up.  Still, it is my game, isn't it?  If I made up the rules I should be able to revise the rules, too, right? 

I had been thinking that April 11th marked the anniversary of these iMood week-daily postings, but that's not so.  I didn't really start this game until July 30th, so I have a few more months to get through before I can say I've lapped a full year. When I started, I didn't really anticipate being disciplined (if that's even the right word) enough to do this consistently, but I've only missed a handful of days since last July.  Which probably means something, hopefully something more than being a bit OCD about the whole thing.

If those late-July shuffles had been like this one, though, I might never have started down this daily challenge.

 - Bruce Cockburn: Christmas Song
 - Pixies: Gouge Away
 - John Mayer: Slow Dancing In a Burning Room
 - Camera Obscura: Forests and Sands

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...