Friday, April 8, 2011

April in Lynnwood

Friday, and it wasn't dark. The forecast calls for, "sunshine to start, then a few local clouds." So far, so good. The sun is splashing along the window next to my desk as I write this, Cake is playing on the iPod, and Friday definitely has a popular-dude-in-spring feel to it.

I regularly visit the Poetry Foundation Web site. I treat it much like I do the iTunes Store. Sometimes I go looking for something specific, sometimes I search by key word or topic, and quite often I start wandering serendipitously around the site looking for something fresh and intriguing, if not inspirational. This morning I found the delightful poem April by Alicia Ostriker. It starts:
The optimists among us
taking heart because it is spring
skip along
attending their meetings
signing their e-mail petitions
marching with their satiric signs
singing their we shall overcome songs
posting their pungent twitters and blogs
believing in a better world
for no good reason
I envy them
said the old woman


I highly recommend taking a minute to follow the link (poem title above) to enjoy the rest of this seasonally appropriate poem.

Today's playlist leapt from Paris to Cuba, then settled firmly in the US until the end, when it skipped back to France. This is the second time this week that Jacques Loussier has capped my morning commute with one of his Impressions on Chopin. The only thing missing was any rendition of April In Paris.

The full playlist:

- Madeleine Payroux: J'Ai deux amours
- Buena Vista Vista Social Club: Murmullo
- Traveling Wilburys: Last Night
- Matchbox Twenty: Unwell
- Jacques Loussier: Nocturne No.1 in B-Flat Minor, Op.9, No.1

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...