Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The could-snow routine

Wednesday, extra-early morning. I've referred to Wednesday as Mr. Maleable before, but today he appears prepared to make a definite statement, at least in terms of weather.  A much-heralded prospect of significant snowfall caused me to set the 4:00 AM alarm so I could get up and see if we needed to make a campus delay or closure decision.  Nothing was happening at that point, so after a brief chat with the boss an easy "nothing to call" decision was made.  Of course, it immediately started to snow on our little hilltop right after I hung up, but with temps in the mid-30's it wasn't going to be a problem any time soon.

Even without the weather apps, television reports, Twitter feeds, and Web sites telling me it was going to snow, the early morning sky was blaring its intent.  There is something about the sunrise before pending snowfall that creates a particular melon-orange glow unique to this condition.  I don't know if this is a Pacific Northwest phenomenon or if the same sky conditions show up elsewhere, but after almost 50 years of seeing PNW skies, I know that look.

Once I'm up, for the most part, I'm up.  So, I set off on the usual morning routine about an hour and half earlier than usual and came on into campus.  The roads were wet, but clear once I got off our hill.  Even there it was just intact slush that disolved under the first tires to hit it.

As for later today... well it sounds likely we will get snow accumulations and decisions about evening classes tonight and campus closure or delayed starts for the next couple of mornings look likely.  I'm just leaving the 4:00 AM alarm set for the remainder of this week.

Because of the hour (and, probably, the threat of weather), there wasn't much traffic with me this morning.  A few cars were crawling along with exaggerated caution, most were simply driving as normal.

No iPod in the car this morning, since I took Ruby.  She of the four studded tires provides a bit more traction should the weather get worse before I leave for home this afternoon, certainly a bit more than the Miata in un-studded winter tires.  Icy hill insurance.  NPR kept me company on my short commute.  I don't keep as much music on my iPhone as on my old (now, in technology terms especially, very old) dedicated iPod, but I have my Sigur Rós playlist so I'll get my office concentration music anyway.

Here's hoping the snow skips us enough to keep things running for our students all through today!

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...