Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mr. Maleable and the post-apocalyptic partial drive

Wednesday is a flexible, changeable, make-of-it-what-you-will kind of day. If Friday is a popular dude, Wednesday is Mr. Maleable. It's mid-week (for many of us), and we bring to that whatever mood or rhythm we are tuned to by this point in the work week.  The week is flying by, the week is dragging on, three days to go, three days down, we've made it this far, the weekend is still a half a week away, I need another weekday, or whatever your fancy: Wednesday is obligingly there to soak it up and reflect it back at us.  As is fitting of a mid-point in the week, the pinacle between the waxing and waning of the workweek, today is also a full moon.  A perfect parallel for Wednesday: mooned by Mr. Maleable.

This morning's drive in, under the bright illumination of the very full moon only partially obscured by clouds, felt post-apocalyptic.  I didn't meet a single car until I was two-thirds of the way to campus.  At one point, as I crested a hilltop with a view down the valley, I saw a semi moving in the distance, but nothing shared the lanes with me until I was most of the way in.  Between the cliche full-moon-in-stormy-sky-overhead and the total lack of movement around me, it had me checking my clock to see if I had accidentally woken five hours too early or listening out for Rod Serling's voiceover (my glasses were not broken, so at least it wouldn't be that episode!).  Finally, I ran into three other cars at a stop light and then traffic seemed to flow at a normal, if still light, pace.  I even found the oh-so-common tailgating large truck for a few blocks. Back to ordinary.

Yesterday gave me a short list of long tunes, and today's shuffled playlist is a long list of short tunes, one as short as 33 second (Introduction). For a mix as eclectic as this one, it all flowed together sweetly.  From Wilco to latin folk to the Pachelbel Cannon, with even a little gospel tossed in for good measure, everyone played nicely together in the musical sandbox.

Today's complete playlist:

 - Wilco: Hell is chrome
 - P.T. Walkley: Evolution
 - Dave Grusin: Lupita
 - P.T. Walkley: Introduction
 - Thad Cockrell: Great Rejoicing
 - Arthur Fiedler: Canon and Gigue for 3 violins & continuo in D major
 - Chick Corea and Bela Fleck: Children's Song #6

- Posted via iPad

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...