Thursday, July 24, 2014

It's not 85 Degrees here, but I hear it all the same

Thursday, my Friday this week, and it's still raining.  The forecast calls for clearing late tonight, though, and then promises at least one unbroken week of sun globes.  So it's all good for the garden and good for the id.

I'm half way into work, busy mulling over something I'd rather not be, when it dawns on me that there's no music playing.  Probably because the car's head unit (the radio-thingie in the middle of the dash) was turned off.  I turn it on, it seeks out and finds the iPhone, and my random music shuffle is off and playing.

Christine Lavin wraps things up as I pull into the campus parking lot and back into a stall. I first heard her singing her tune Good Thing He Can't Read My Mind from the (then) just-released album of the same name. That was in 1988 when I was still a banker in Ballard. The tune was catchy, the lyrics were funny, and her voice and guitar playing was unique. So I bought the album.  Well, cassette tape, actually.  It was 1988, after all. The songs on it range from today's pensive Miami Beach walk (85 Degrees) with it's bridge of:

Oh what a perfect setting
What a perfect sky
Oh a perfectly awful looking drifter
Is trying to catch my eye

To a duet of Downtown (yes, that one) with Livingston Taylor (yes, he sounds very much like his brother James), and on to a song that looks at a homeless woman and choruses, "She once was somebody's baby, someone bunced her on his knee..."

Good music and definitely worth checking out if you're not already familiar with Lavin.


Today's full playlist:

  • Eagles: Love Will keep Us Alive
  • Van Morrison: Retreat and View
  • Belle And Sebastian: Sukie in the Graveyard
  • Christine Lavin: 85 Degrees

No comments:

A New Beginning - Moved to Madeira

  As I type this blog entry it's about 11 AM here in Campanário on the island of Madeira. The upper balcony has the best view down the v...